How Common Is Thyroid Disease?
Information collected by: Dr Robert Carlson
The American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists: Annual Thyroid Awareness Campaign
When the AACE established new TSH Guidelines (0.3 – 3.0 vs. 0.5 – 5.0) the number of people estimated to be affected by abnormal thyroid function doubled.
According to the AACE, the number of people affected by Thyroid Disease now surpasses the number of people diagnosed with Diabetes or Heart Disease.
- 27 Million: The number of Americans estimated to suffer from Thyroid Disease.
- 13 Million: The number of Americans estimated to suffer from Thyroid Disease…but remain undiagnosed.
- 14 Million: Estimated number of Americans affected by Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis (Autoimmune Thyroiditis / Hypothyroidism).
- 8 out of 10: Patients with Thyroid Disease are women.
- 5x – 8x: Women are 5 to 8 times more likely to suffer from Hypothyroidism than men.
- 25%: Approximate number of women that will develop permanent Hypothyroidism.