So You Received Your Box Of Growth Hormone. So now what do I do?
- Remove the protective caps from the two vials. With one alcohol swab, clean both the rubber top of the vial that contains the powder and the rubber top of the vial that contains diluent.
- Use next the sterile diluent vial, the disposable 3 mL syringe and a needle.
- Attach the needle to the syringe (if not attached already).
- Pull back the syringe plunger and fill the syringe with air. Push the needle fitted to the syringe through the rubber top of the diluent vial, push all the air from the syringe into the vial, turn the vial upside down, and withdraw all the diluent from the vial into the syringe.
- Remove the syringe and needle. You will draw about 1.14 cc of sterile water.(most vials have a little more) This will allow you to inject .07 cc of fluid each time for a total of approx 17 injections. Regardless, once the vial is empty you will have given yourself 17.4 units of HGH.
- Next take the syringe with the diluent in it and push the needle through the rubber stopper of the vial that contains the white powder.
- Inject the diluent slowly. Aim the stream of liquid against the glass wall in order to avoid foam. Remove the syringe and needle and dispose of them.
- Gently swirl the vial until the content is completely dissolved. Do not shake
MEASURING THE DOSE OF OMNITROPETM 5.8 mg TO BE INJECTED
- Next use the sterile, disposable 1 mL (or similar) syringe and needle for subcutaneous injection. Push the needle through the rubber top of the vial that contains the medicine that you have just mixed.
- Turn the vial and the syringe upside down.
- Be sure the tip of the syringe is in the OMNITROPE™ mixed medicine.
- Pull back on the plunger slowly and withdraw the dose prescribed by your doctor into the syringe. Should Start at one unit or .07 cc on your TB syringe. So that is between the 10 unit mark on the syringe and the hub(towards the needle part)
- Hold the syringe with the needle in the vial pointing up and remove the syringe from the vial.
- Check for air bubbles in the syringe. If you see any bubbles, pull the plunger slightly back; tap the syringe gently, with the needle pointing upwards, until the bubble disappears.
- Push the plunger slowly back up to the correct dose. If there is not enough medicine in the syringe after removing the air bubbles, draw more medicine into the syringe from the mixed medicine vial and repeat checking for bubbles.
- Look at the mixed medicine in the syringe before using. Do not use if discolored or particles are present. You are
now ready to inject the dose.
4. INJECTING OMNITROPETM 5.8 mg
- Choose the site of injection on your body. The best sites for injection are tissues with a layer of fat between skin and muscle such as the upper leg (thigh), buttocks, or stomach area (abdomen) as in the picture shown to the left. Do not inject near your belly button (navel) or waistline.
- Make sure you rotate the injection sites on your body. Inject at least 1/2 inch from the last injection. Change the places on your body where you inject, as you have been taught.
- Before you make an injection, clean your skin well with an alcohol swab. Wait for the area to air dry.
- With one hand, pinch a fold of loose skin at the injection site. With your other hand, hold the syringe as you would a pencil. Insert the needle into the pinched skin straight in or at a slight angle (an angle of 45° to 90°).
- Inject the solution by pushing the plunger all the way down gently.
- Pull the needle straight out of the skin. After injection, press the injection site with a small bandage or sterile gauze if needed for bleeding, for several seconds. Do not massage or rub the injection site.
- Discard the injection materials.
- Dispose of the syringes safely in a closed container. You can ask your health care provider or pharmacist for a “sharps” container. A sharps container is a special container to put used needles and syringes in. You can return a full sharps container to your pharmacist or health care provider for disposal.
- The vial of mixed medicine must be stored in the refrigerator in its carton at 36° to 46°F (2° to 8°C) and used within 3 1/2 weeks.
- The solution should be clear after removal from the refrigerator. If the solution is cloudy or contains particles, discard the vial. Do not inject the medicine from this vial. Start over with a new vial of OMNITROPE™ 5.8 mg. Call your pharmacist if you need a replacement.
- Before each use disinfect the rubber top of the reconstituted vial with an alcohol swab. You must use a new disposable 1 mL syringe and needle for each injection.
Figure 1: Schematic amino acid sequence of human growth hormone
including the disulfide bonds